Saturday, August 15, 2009

Getting started

Wow. So I need to get on this blogging thing. I opened this account during the 08/09 school year, but then didn't use it because it was blocked on our school network. I have had several different things running through my mind that could make up complete blog entries, so I think I'll just start trying to get them written down here and then begin to tackle them one at a time.

-Understanding math so that we can teach it

-School reform- Are they right when they say, "it's the teachers, stupid"?

-How is math taught in primary grades? I feel like some of the "real world" teaching of basic concepts has to be unlearned in order to hit some of the more abstract things.

-Is "real world" overrated? Isn't it more about the connection? I mean all those "A-double B-C" button combinations on the game controllers have absolutely no real world value, but the kids sure can nail them.

-PLN's - not sure what to say, hadn't even seen the acronym until I got on Twitter this summer. Boy, has Twitter been a revelation!

-Local private school just got a couple of SMARTboards (public school has them in every classroom). The thing is, if it's just an electronic chalkboard or projector screen, what have you accomplished.

All for now, I'm sure I'll find plenty more.

No comments: